A Virtual Private network enables the use of a private secured network over a publicly shared infrastructure like common internet network. And such privacy is created through the origination of a secured tunnel using encryption methods. The encrypted data packets can only be read by the associated clients and the servers and this process of secure tunneling is termed as the Virtual Private Networking. A VPN actually enables a remote machine to get connected to a server through some pre defined authentication process and this is how the remote machine actually becomes a part of the network that the server is connected to and the machine works as if it is just a part of the server itself.
The VPN configuration actually consists of two basic steps; the first step is to set up the outgoing VPN connection that is to enable a machine to get connected to the server. In other words it is also called the client configuration. The other step is to set up the incoming connection for the server or the server set up for enabling the client machine to get connected with its very own network.
Windows 7 VPN:
Unlike the previous versions of Windows, where you had to install a third party VPN client and go through the rigorous set up procedure, this new Windows came up bundled with a VPN client already. This is why both the incoming and the outgoing VPN set up is very easy on this Windows.
How to setup VPN connection in windows 7:
The major configuration required is to know the details of the PPTP connection. The other protocols can be changed afterwards based on this basic protocol configuration at any time. So here we will discuss mainly how to configure VPN in windows 7 using the PPTP protocol.
1. Go the Control Panels on Windows 7
2. Select the icon saying Network and Internet and open it.
3. From this folder select the Network and sharing center
4. Select to create the set up of a new connection or a nerwork.
5. Select the connection type as a workplace connection and go to the Next window.
6. Go for a new connection set up if there is already an existing connection. And then select the option saying Use my Internet connection (VPN)
7. In the window type in your VPN server’s IP address in the address text box. Also type a name for the connection under destination name text box. Check the option that says ‘Don’t connect now; just set it up so I can connect later’ and finally go to the Next window.
8. Key in the username and password that the service provider has given you at the time of registering with them. If you want the windows to remember this information, select the option saying ‘Remember this Password’. Press on the Create button and close the window to complete the connection set up.
9. After the connection is set up in an appropriate manner, go to the connection and click to connect. In the connection initiation page, click on the properties button. Select the options tab and uncheck ‘Include Windows logon domain’ if it had been pre checked. Select the tab saying security. And select the PPTP protocol from the drop down menu.
10. The next step is to click on the networking tab and to uncheck ‘Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)’. Then you can simply press OK and the set up is completed.
Top VPN Providers
here is the list of Top 5 VPN Providers for Windows 7
|Rank||Provider||Starting Price||Visit Provider Site|
|1||ExpressVPN||$8.32 /Month||Visit Provider Site|
|2||Hidemyass||$11.52 /Month||Visit Provider Site|
|3||IPvanish||$10.00/Month||Visit Provider Site|
|4||StrongVPN||$21/ 3 Months||Visit Provider Site|
|5||VyprVPN||$14.95/Month||Visit Provider Site|