Windows based laptops and PCs are widely used by many individuals. PCs or laptops operating on Windows OS can be found in every single household and also in business organizations. Efficient and easy to operate nature of Windows OS makes it a huge success amongst individuals and businesses. Virtual Private Network can be used to obtain a lot of exciting features like security, anonymity, picture quality, high quality internet network, multiple device compatibility, wider access range, reduced data traffic, etc. All these and many more such features make VPN service one of the better options. In order to connect to a VPN in Windows, the subscriber should know how to setup VPN on Windows. Setup procedure for two of the latest versions of Windows OS is discussed in detail.
Setup procedure for VPN in Windows 7
- Click on the Windows home icon, type VPN in the ‘Search program and files’ tab below and press ‘Enter’.
- Select ‘Set up a virtual private network (VPN) connection’; this should lead to the main setup page for VPN in Windows.
- In the ‘Create a VPN connection’ menu page, enter the ‘Internet address’ and ‘Destination name’ of the VPN connection. Destination name is the name that the user intends to keep for the VPN they are about to setup. It is the personal choice of the subscriber. Internet address and other account particulars will be provided to the subscriber in the Welcome email. Click ‘Next’ to go to the next setup page.
- In the following page, subscribers should enter the username and password of their account correctly in the respective fields. Account credentials provided in the Welcome email should be kept confidential. Fill the particulars and click on Connect.
- Windows will automatically connect the subscriber to the VPN server and there should not be any problem in the connection if the details are entered correctly. The new connection can be found in the ‘Network icon’ on the bottom right corner of the Windows.
- Disconnecting the VPN connection is also very simple. Right click on the new VPN connection and select ‘Disconnect’.
- Subscribers can delete the VPN connection by going to the ‘Network Connections’ section, right-clicking on the option and clicking on ‘Delete’.
This is the setup procedure for VPN in Windows 7. Subscribers who own a laptop or PC operating on this particular OS can setup VPN on their device by following the procedure given above. Another latest version of Windows OS that is being used by many at present is Windows 8 and the setup procedure of VPN in Windows 8 is what we are going to discuss in the next section.
Setup procedure of VPN in Windows 8
- Initial process is more or less the same compared to the setup procedure of Windows 7. Click on the Windows key, type ‘VPN’ and press Enter.
- Choose the category of ‘Settings’ and select the option of ‘Set up a virtual private network (VPN)’
- The menu page of ‘Create a VPN connection’ can be seen. In that, enter the Internet address of the VPN service and also the Destination name, which is the name of the VPN connection that the user is going to setup. It is their personal preference. Tick the box of ‘Remember my credentials’ and click on ‘Create’ to create a new VPN connection.
- The new connection can be found in the ‘Networks’. Select the VPN and click on ‘Connect’.
- Enter the username and password in the respective fields and click on OK to establish the VPN connection. Account credentials will be provided to the subscriber upon subscription.
- The VPN connection can be found anytime from the ‘Network pane’ which can be found in the system tray.
- Connecting or disconnecting with the VPN connection can be performed by using the VPN that has been setup just now.
- Subscribers can also remove or delete the VPN connection if they do not need it or if they have not setup properly.
Process of setting up VPN in Windows 8 is complete. Subscribers can make use of the VPN service and the features provided by the service provider in an effective manner once they have completed setting up VPN in Windows. But before all that, they need to choose the right VPN service provider to achieve best in class features.
Best 5 VPN in Windows
Best 5 VPN service providers that are regarded as the best VPN companies for offering their services to Windows OS based laptop and PC subscribers are listed below.
|Rank||Provider||Starting Price||Visit Provider Site|
|1||ExpressVPN||$8.32 /Month||Visit Provider Site|
|2||Hidemyass||$11.52 /Month||Visit Provider Site|
|3||IPvanish||$10.00/Month||Visit Provider Site|
|4||StrongVPN||$21/ 3 Months||Visit Provider Site|
|5||VyprVPN||$14.95/Month||Visit Provider Site|