Today, we will be discussing how to setup a VPN connection on a Wireless Router. But first of all we will talk about why someone would need to configure VPN on their wireless internet router. Basically, it is very simple, wireless router is used to route the internet to different devices in a home or workplace and once this wireless router is configured with VPN then all the devices in that network will not have to setup VPN separately. In addition to that, there are many devices that do not have the option of setting up VPN accounts and that is why if you want to join the VPN network from any of those devices you will need your wireless router to be configured with VPN. There are many such devices like gaming consoles including PS3, Xbox 360, TV sets that offer internet connectivity and many other streaming devices like Boxee, Google TV and Apple TV.
Advantages of Configuring VPN on Wireless Router:
Now there are many reasons why you will need VPN for all these devices. For example if you want to connect to VPN from your gaming console, then you will be able to connect to various online servers in other countries which you couldn’t without VPN. In addition to that, you will also be able to access various entertainment portals like Netflix or Hulu on these devices with the help of VPN because most of these services are restricted on the basis of geographical location of the user.
Steps for Configuring VPN on Routers with DD-WRT Firmware:
So, you will have to follow the following steps in order to setup VPN on your Wireless. You have to keep in mind that the tutorial given here is for the DD-WRT Wireless router which is generally used in the homes and workplaces. If you have a different wireless router, we suggest you contact the technical support but most of the time the configuration process is pretty similar and only the interface is different.
- First of all you will have to find out whether your router supports VPN or not. You can do it by looking in the services tab on the router page.
- You can access router page by entering the gateway IP of the internet router in the URL bar of a browser. If there is an option of VPN, you can add a new connection there.
- You will be asked for the VPN protocol, it can be PPTP or any other supported by your router.
- After that you will have to enter the IP addresses for the clients as well as the server which is provided by the VPN service provider.
- Last but not the least; you will also have to enter the CHAP-Secret which means the username and password that are provided by your VPN provider to login into your VPN account.
After you have added all the required info, add the connection and then your router will reboot. After that all you need to do is connect your computer, gaming console, TV, mobile device or any other device with it via WiFi and you are good to go.
Recommended VPN Service Providers:
There are tons of VPN service providers that give services around the world but not all of them are as good as their advertisement says. Below is a list of some of the most popular and most reputable VPN service providers in the industry. Use their services and we guarantee you that you will not be disappointed.
|Rank||Provider||Starting Price||Visit Provider Site|
|1||ExpressVPN||$8.32 /Month||Visit Provider Site|
|2||TotalVPN||$7.49 /Month||Visit Provider Site|
|3||IPvanish||$10.00/Month||Visit Provider Site|
|4||StrongVPN||$21/ 3 Months||Visit Provider Site|
|5||VyprVPN||$14.95/Month||Visit Provider Site|